Month: January 2015

Development and Realisation – Peer Assessment / Evaluation

Throughout the final week of editing I found it very useful to get people’s advice on certain aspects of my poster. In a certain way I tried to approach it like market research and audiences likes and dislikes because in a professional working environment its the audiences opinion that really matters. In actual fact it proved more helpful than first realised as certain features to the poster were effected by other people’s opinions.

Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 11.54.35The first aspect of the poster I sought advice on was the darker fraction of the donut. I firstly wasn’t sure whether to have the separate piece positioned away from the rest of donut and secondly whether the sides should straight or have a jagged edge. Regarding the positioning it was a unanimous decision. With most percentages be rather small, audiences found it easier to understand and locate when separated. I totally understood and agreed with this feedback and hereby decided to go ahead with it. Feedback on the style of the separated side of the donut was far more mixed. Many said a jagged edge would create a more realistic donut and also match the other side, whereas another opinion suggested keeping it straight to make it look more like a percentage. I personally though the second option was more appropriate as I want the percentage clear to read.

Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 15.51.27Another aspect of the poster I sought opinions on was the positioning of the percentage numbers. There were two options, the first as shown in the image below and the second to have the numbers placed around the donut. I personally want to stay with the numbers placed in the box and therefore was very thankful when feedback suggested the same option. When positioning the numbers around the donut, it did look good but resulted in having a blank space under the county’s name. One of the main reason for staying with the box was it stuck with the menu and Dunkin Donuts theme, which is something I tried to accomplish throughout the poster.

Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 15.51.59


Development and Realisation – Final Edit

Heading into the final week of this project I can now start to add the finishing touches to my poster. Having decided to carry on with the menu idea it was clear that this was my strongest idea but it just needed some fine tuning.

Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 11.52.45As is clear in the two images there was still some changes to be made to the poster to get it up to scratch. The major aspect that still had to be achieved was making the donuts look more realistic. Being the focal images in my poster this was extremely important to get correct and there were a few ways in which I did this. The two more simpler visual effects added were the sprinkles and the crumbs, even though small features they do achieve a more aesthetically pleasing flat graphic. The two more prominent features can be seen through the icing and the rough edges to the donuts. The improvement on the icing and the adding of colour creates an individuality between each donut and is the major aspect to knowing its a donut. The rough edges to the donuts finishes it off. It creates a clear separation between just a pie chart with colour and a donut. There were also some final improvements that really added a professional look, such as the fade in the background colour and the Dunkin Donuts logo in the background.

Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 11.54.35